Tamdhu Distillery was established in 1897; by a group of whisky blenders including William Grant and Sons ‒ near the town Knockando in Baniffshire, Scotland. Tamdhu was bought by Highland Distillers in 1899 (now a subsidiary of Edrington) and was acquired by Ian MacLeod Distillers, the family-owned distiller, blender and bottler in June 2011. Sandy Coutts, the previous manager at Glenrothes, was hired by Ian Macleod Distillers to revive this storied property. Given the distillerys proximity to the River Spey, Tamdhu has direct access to the river but also relies on its onsite well which is filled by water that filters through the gravel beds of the river. Tamdhu produces its own malt and is the only distillery that still uses a Saladin box malting system. The distillery has a twelve-ton semi-lauter mash tun, nine Oregon pine washbacks and six stills. Aromas of vanilla and sugared almonds mix with cinnamon, peach and orange. Rich notes of toffee and sherry precede hints of peat smoke.